Help us select two full time equivalent advisors who make a difference in the lives of undergraduate students at the University of Missouri.
To recognize two individuals (one MU faculty member and one MU staff member) who have demonstrated the qualities associated with outstanding undergraduate student advising. Please refer to the Advisors Forum Mission Statement.
The two individuals selected will each receive a $1,000 award and a plaque. Support for each award has been provided by Advisors Forum, Vice-Chancellor for Student Affairs, Total Person Program, and the Office of the Provost. As with all earnings, the award amount is subject to tax and voluntary contribution deductions.
The Selection Committee will evaluate nominations on the evidence of effective advising qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding advisor. Such evidence may include, but is not necessarily limited to, the following:
- Demonstration of a caring attitude toward students
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and life goals
- Mastery of institutional regulations, policies, and procedures
- Ability to engage in developmental advising (career and life planning)
- Behavior designed to build a strong relationship with students
- Availability to students and other advisors
- Frequency of contact with students
- Seeking out students in informal settings
- Use of appropriate referrals
- Attendance and support of advisors’ developmental programs
- Perception by colleagues of nominee’s advising skills
- Enhancing programs for the direct benefit of students
The nominee must be involved in the direct delivery of advising services as part of his/her job responsibilities to MU undergraduate students.
Each nomination must include:
- A primary letter of at least one but no more than three pages outlining the ways in which the nominee meets the award criteria. Submit the primary nomination letter here:
- Three letters of support but no more than three. One letter must be from a current or former student.
Letters of Support
- If more than three letters per nomination form are submitted, the Awards Chair will select one student letter and two letters from other sources.
Deadline for the 2019 Excellence in Advising Award nominations: March 9, 2020.
Five outside reviewers constitute the selection committee, which can include two current MU students, retired advisors, retired faculty, and administrators with at least one being a retired advisor or retired faculty and at least one administrator.
If you would like help initiating a nomination or with letters of support, contact Alison Lee, Awards Committee Chair, at Leeal@missouri.edu.